Translate

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Ann's Quilt& Sweet Memories

 


I'm not sure of the name or if there is a name for this block as my Aunt Annibell made her own from time to time, she gifted me her quilting frame which would be over 100 yrs old now ," mean ole tornado"! she lived life to the fullest up to the sweet age of 99,she always told me that you have to stay active to stay young & that she did!


If anyone knows if there is a name for this block I'd luv to know!♥️ she made me a sample block which is now tattered but I think I can salvage measurements & come up with a new one



I actually have a few of her quilt tops that she gave me back when she was teaching me to quilt ,perhaps one day I'll quilt them but for now I luv them just as they are, I know she's shouting from the heavens Hallelujah Helen finally  quilted that quilt!😄


she made the blocks on her old threadel machine,I to this day an amazed at the thought of how that thing threaded a bobbin lol shed expect me bright & early to work on putting the blocks together,hot homemade biscuits on the table & a cake in the oven,she luved to baked & baked a fresh cake from scratch every day,family & friends stopped by frengthly to check on her & in doing so had to sit down to a slice of cake,by the ending of the day the last visitor got to take the remaining  cake home, she'd simply tell you that if you didn't it was going in the garbage cause she's making a new one in the morning 


this quilt is perfectly sized for a full sized bed ,Aunt Annibell whom we always called Ann was a true quilter,old school to say the least,she had no interest in new ways,new rulers etc in other words don't go telling her you can see long strips together & cut them into blocks "I tried"😄 & I got HELEN! do you want to learn how to quilt?lol if if calls for 1" you will cut & sew a 1" no fancy quilt cams on the machine if you wanted a design ,find a pretty leaf or cookie cutter ,trac around & stitch 


new ways & shortcuts are great but nothing beats those good ole old school ways ,after all our great grandmother's way back further than we can count didn't even have sewing machines which brings us to why so long ? after we got the blocks arranged ,she sewed them all together & we laid them out on her bed ,this is how she determined how many blocks she needed ,once the top was assembled with the batting & the backing,she told me to go home & quilt it & don't be putting it under that machine! 🤣 my stitches were uneven,messy to say the least I ripped more than I put in till I folded it up & put it away with the intent of quitting it when I can make a straight line,well it's about 10 years later & I pull it out & decide to just go for it! I agree with Ann I don't know why I waited so long because my stitches are just as hilarious as they were back then🤣

The quilt is made with 42  12" blocks 
measuring out to 73x84
a polyfill type batting
cream full size sheet for backing
don't go wasting good quilt fabric on backing! she'd tell you "I swaney! you could of made a quilt with that!🤣 Oh how I miss her! 


2 comments:

  1. A lovely story and beautiful quilt. Glad you finished it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing lady who loved to quilt amazing treasures. So glad she taught you how to quilt as well. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Happy Mother's Day Sunday Insperation